Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Challenge 8- Crescent Roll French Dip Sandwiches

I spent most of my day yesterday cleaning our apartment getting ready for my parents visit tomorrow. I had a hair appointment this afternoon and needed to make something quick for dinner tonight. I remembered this pin and thought it sounded super easy and delicious.


From http://www.plainchicken.com/
Recipe from Pinterest

1/2 pound deli roast beef, thinly sliced
4 slices provolone cheese
4 tsp horseradish sauce or Ranch dressing
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
1 packet Au Jus Gravy mix

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Separate crescent rolls into 8 triangles. Spread 1/2 teaspoon horseradish sauce or Ranch dressing on each crescent. Top each crescent with 1/2 slice provolone cheese and roast beef. Roll up crescents and place on baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.

While crescents are baking, make Au Jus according to directions on packet. Serve with warm crescents.


I had to buy the roast beef, provolone cheese, and Au Jus gravy mix at Target. I chose to use ranch dressing instead of horseradish and I also used reduced fat crescent rolls and when I opened them the were a little oily (I'm not sure if that normal as I was using the Target branch and its not my normal brand). I followed the directions and rolled out the crescent rolls, spread the ranch dressing, put half a slice of provolone, and about 4 slices of roast beef. It was slightly difficult to roll them with the cheese in them but they stayed together well. I used all eight crescent rolls and all of the roast beef in the container.
I popped these in the oven at 375 degrees and set the timer for ten minutes. While they went in the oven I started the Au Jus gravy on the stove. I have never made Au Jus before but it was simple. The Au Jus powder goes in a small pot, add in a tablespoon of flour and slowly stir and mix in three cups of water the stir often until boiling and then its done. The Au Jus finished right as the timer went off for the french dip rolls. After ten minutes they didn't seem quite ready yet so I added another three minutes to the timer and after that they were nice and brown. The cheese had melted out of the sides a little and there was some oil on the baking pan.

They tasted very good, a perfect mix of cheese and meat. I was surprised how little of the ranch you could taste. I'm not sure if that was because I didn't use enough ranch or if the flavor of the provolone over powered the flavor of the ranch. The Au Jus was a great companion to the rolls and help add to the meat flavor of the roast beef. These were given the thumbs up from the husband and the toddler (even though she was hesitant of the Au Jus in the beginning). It was agreed that there was a lot of ways you could improve or add to this recipe. Joe suggested buying a roast beef sandwich from Arby's and using that inside the roll or using a garlic butter inside the roll instead of ranch. Both ideas sound great and I think will be tried in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment