Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Challenge 11- Betty Crocker's "Impossibly Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies"

This pin appeared on my radar a few days ago and it looked delicious. I have multiple recipes in my repertoire that are variations on chicken pot pie, my most popular one I invented in college when I realized how many calories are in pot pies and how long they take to bake. When I clicked the link I was surprised that although bettycrocker.com shows you how to make these delicious morsels they do not actually give you the specific recipe to them. Instead you are given links to recipes for similar dishes including Thai chicken pie, cheeseburger pie, and chicken n' broccoli pie. I thought this odd to not include the recipe in the picture, but I was now in the mood for chicken pot pie and chicken pot pie is what I was going to have.
I clicked on the chicken broccoli pie recipe and decided to tweak it a bit to be more like my chicken pot pie recipe. I figured that if I followed the recipe for the most part a few little changes wouldn't hurt. I choose to add corn and carrots as well as a can of cream of chicken soup. I felt like this would give the recipe a more authentic chicken pot pie taste. Other than adding in those items I stuck to the ingredients and amounts of the original recipe which you will find below.
Chicken-Broccoli Mixture
1 tablespoon vegetable oil                                         
1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces                                  
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)                                        
1 cup Green Giant® frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained                                         
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper                                           
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Baking Mixture                               
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix                                 
1/2 cup milk                                      
2 eggs
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add broccoli, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until mixture is heated through. Cool 5 minutes; stir in cheese.
3. In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken-broccoli mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto chicken-broccoli mixture in each muffin cup

4. Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and tops are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.        

I followed the Bisquick recipe to a T and cooked the chicken and onions to the recipes specifications. The Bisquick was a thin and slightly lumpy and I ended up with a lot of pot pie filling after mixing everything together. Because of the thin Bisquick and the wet mix getting the filling into the muffin tins was messy. My pictures are not as impressive as Ms. Betty's.
Ingredients


The mix

In the muffin pans and very messy

After 33 minutes at 375. Middle still soft but edges are brown and cooked

Did not stay in muffin form. Still tasty!
General opinion was good, very similar to the chicken pot pie casserole I usually make. It lacked spice but could easily be played around with to make it to anybody's preferences. It's a good base recipe with a lot of potential, although next time I would skip the soup in the mixture or only use half since I think that is the reason it didn't set in true muffin form. I did end up with extra filling and it was good enough to stand alone so I put it in some Tupperware to eat for lunch tomorrow. I would love to hear about other's take on this recipe, try it out and post your changes and tweaks and how it turned out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment