Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Challange 18-Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken and the Gloriousness that are Crockpot Liners

I have had this recipe pinned for a really long time (like I had to hunt at the bottom of my Food and Drinks board to find it) and when my my mom was in town she had mentioned she had done this one before so I thought I would give it a try. With the weather at 110 degrees, it was a perfect for cooking dinner without having to heat up an entire oven. I also love crockpot cooking because it rarely involves a ton of ingredients and although visual appeal is low on crockpot food, the food is never dry and usually has a ton of flavor. This recipe falls into the super easy catergroy, as it only contains 3 ingredients; frozen chicken breast, a can of crushed pineapple, and Archer Farms Hawaiian Style Barbeque sauce.
Here is my tip to those of you who do not understand the greatness that is crockpot cooking; ALWAYS USE CROCKPOT LINER BAGS! I'm not sure what kitchen genius came up with the idea of sticking a plastic bag around the inside of the crockpot so you could have all the benefits of crockpot cooking without the hassle of traditional crockpot cleanup, but they deserve their own holiday in my opinion. They sell them in the same section as Ziploc bags and plastic wrap and they are worth every penny, don't crockpot without them.

Anyway, back to the recipe, throw the chicken in the crockpot (lined of course :), throw the crushed pineapple on top of the chicken, and throw the sauce on top of that and mix it around a bit so the chicken is covered in sauce. Now set the crockpot to low and set the timer for 6 hours.
Remember I said crockpot cooking isn't always pretty
I threw this together around 11:30am and left the house to run errands. I walked back in around 3:30 and the house smelled delicious. You could smell the pineapple for sure but I caught a bit of the mango smell from the sauce as well. Timer dinged at 5:30 and I made steamed broccoli (though afterwards I realized this would have tasted pretty awesome on top of rice too) as a side dish.

The smell was great and the chicken was super moist (another great thing about crockpot meat, it is never dry). The taste threw me at first but not in a bad way. For some reason I was expecting a super sweet chicken, more of a teriaki flavor but this BBQ sauce had a bit of a bite to it. Nothing too spicy and still more than I expected. The sauce was still sweet from the pineapple and mixing bites of chicken with the cooked pineapple was very good.
 All in all a good and very simple recipe but nothing knock your socks off amazing. The toddler ate it without much complaint (which is saying something) but she wasn't begging for seconds and the husband was out this evening (guess what he is having for lunch tomorrow). I probably won't go out of my way to make it but I think it will end up on the dinner rotation every once inawhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment