Sunday, June 17, 2012

Challenge 14-Trix Krispie Treats-What's Not to Love

So this pin was seen a few weeks ago and stopped me dead in my pinning tracks. The picture looks amazing and made me want to go to the store ASAP and buy some Trix.
From http://www.cravingsofalunatic.com/2012/04/trix-krispies.html
I mean seriously how yummy do these look!! So when we went to Walmart last night I bought a bag of mini-marshmallows and a box of Trix (which made my 3 year old very excited). After dinner tonight I got out the ingredients and pulled up the recipe from http://www.cravingsofalunatic.com/2012/04/trix-krispies.html 
Ingredients
  • 1 x 400g bag of mini marshmallows (about 2 cups)
  • 10 cups Trix cereal
  • 1/4 cup butter
Instructions
  1. Place the butter and marshmallows in a glass bowl and pop in the microwave for about 2 to 3 minutes to melt.
  2. Stir well.
  3. Mix in your Trix and stir.
  4. Pour into a large greased pan (9 x 13 or 11 x 11) and press down with a spoon.
  5. Cut into squares.
  6. Serve with a colorful smile!
Notes
If you spray your spoon with non stick spray before using it to press down the krispies it works really well.

After reading over her instructions I was put back by two things; one that I was surprised the recipe only called for 2 cups of marshmallows and that I could melt both the butter and the marshmallows in the microwave. I felt like a sucker for all those years I was stirring butter and marshmallows over a hot stove. I put the marshmallows and butter in the bowl, set the timer for 2 and a half minutes. After about 30 seconds in the microwave the marshmallows began expanding and sort of looked like something out a bad science fiction movie. After the full 2 and a half minutes the bowl came out looking like the picture below.
I took the bowl out and began stirring and that's when the trouble started. The marshmallows began deflating and mixing with the butter in a very small and sticky mess.
Out of the microwave with only 2 cups of marshmellows
It just wasn't enough marshmallows so I checked the recipe again and I saw the 2 cups but then I also saw the 400 gram bag of mini marshmallows part. My Great Value brand marshmallows bag is only 297 grams full (and my bag wasn't full, marshmallows are my kryptonite which is why they are rarely in my house). Something was off with her measurements for sure, especially is she was calling for 10 cups of cereal. I wanted to salvage the recipe (I had a 3 year old begging for dessert) so I threw what marshmallows were left in the bag (about another cup and a half) and threw them back in the microwave for 45 seconds. I poured 4 cups of cereal into a measuring cup and waited for the microwave to ding. I pulled the bowl out and threw in the cereal and started stirring. The mix seemed a little on the marshmellowy side so I threw in another cup of cereal. Once everything was well blended I put it in my 9x11 inch casserole dish and pressed them into place.

We let them cool down and cut into them after about 10 minutes. Taste test wise they were good but neither the husband or I were blown away (even the toddler was less than impressed and only ate a few bites). Rice Krispie treats seem to take on their own flavor and you don't automatically go "Oh, I'm eat Rice Krispie cereal and marshmallows" however with these I thought " Hey that tastes like Trix covered in marshmallows". They didn't keep as good a rectangular shape as Rice Krispie treats do and actually think they look better in a ball shape instead.
These would be good for a St. Patrick's Day party or a party in the spring because of how colorful the Trix are, but I doubt they'll become a regular dessert staple in my household. I liked the ease of using the microwave but I would probably still use the pan to melt the butter and marshmallows, it gives you more time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. My recipe if you do want to try them works out to 3.5 cups of mini marshmallows, 1/4 cup of butter, and 5 cups of Trix (which did fill up my entire pan so it could probably cut into about 18-24 servings depending on size)



No comments:

Post a Comment