Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Challenge 16-Sugar Glazed Pretzels...are AMAZING!

I decided that I could not in good conscience leave for my girls weekend tomorrow on a Pinterest failure. The idea nagged at me all day today as I scoured my boards for a simple pin I could complete. With my 8 hour car ride tomorrow I was inspired to find something I could snack on. I had pinned a cinnamon sugar pretzel recipe that I thought would be a great snack for the car ride to Memphis. The pin had instructions but also went to a blog detailing the instructions further (major bonus points). You can see her version at http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2010/12/yummy-cinnamon-sugar-pretzels.html. I only varied in that I used Pretzel Chips instead of regular pretzels (mainly because its all I had but also because I LOVE Pretzel Chips!) and I used half regular sugar and half Splenda (you could use all regular sugar)
The recipe called for 16 ozs of pretzels but in her blog she admitted to only using about half of that. I used about 10 ozs of Pretzel Chips and my casserole dish was about filled to the top. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. You will also need 2/3 a cup of some type of vegetable oil (I used canola), 1/2 cup of sugar (I did 1/4 regular sugar and 1/4 Splenda), and 2 tsp of cinnamon. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and then add in the oil. Stir until the mix looks well blended.
Now the original recipe has you put the pretzels in the baking dish and pour them wet mix on the pretzels and mix it up in the dish. As I was following the directions I thought it would probably be just as easy to throw the pretzels in the wet mix and stir them in there. Anyway, pop the pretzels (which have been mixed around and coated with the wet mix) into the oven for 30 minutes.
You are supposed to take them out after 10 and stir them around a bit and again after 20. When you take them out of the oven they will smell AMAZING, I likened it to being around an Auntie Anne's when their pretzels come out of the oven. After letting them cool a bit (but not all the way, I was too excited to try some) I taste tested them and they definitely do not disappoint. I think they taste like Auntie Anne's Cinnamon Sugar pretzels but with a crispy crunch.
As delicious as these are in the spirit of full disclosure the calorie count on these are HIGH. Between the oil (the biggest culprit), sugar, and the Pretzel Chips themselves, my estimated (and its only a rough estimate using online resources) calorie count per serving is and 280 calories for every 11 Pretzel Chips. I know that you could cut down the amount of oil in this recipe and up the amount of Splenda (or Stevia) to reduce the count but most of the time if a food is this delicious there is a trade off in calories. I now feel vindicated and can go to Memphis with a Pinterest Win on my record. I'm going to try to limit my intake of these bad boys and force my husband, child, and friends to partake in their cinnamon sugar yummyness!

No comments:

Post a Comment