Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Healthy Blueberry Greek Yogurt "Power" Muffins or Another Recipe My Husband Won't Eat

I pinned this recipe awhile ago and totally forgot about it, then noticed a friend of mine pinned it last night. We all know I'm on a health kick and I am breastfeeding so I'm a big fan of recipes that have healthy carbs as well as protein. The reason my husband won't even try these muffins is that they have Greek yogurt in them. He avoids Greek yogurt like the plague and on principle won't try foods that include it (no sense of adventure). This is a pretty big recipe and calls for a decent amount of ingredients. Recipe is from http://domesticatedacademic.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/power-muffins-blueberryoatmealyogurtpower/ 
Ingredients
  • no-stick cooking spray
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup oats–quick or regular oats, plain
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces honey nonfat greek yogurt or 1 1/2 cups (Chobani)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries  
Instructions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°.
  2. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray or liners.
  3. Combine flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
  4. Combine yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla in a second bowl.
  5. Fold yogurt mixture into dry mixture; stir to combine completely.
  6. Gently fold in blueberries.
  7. Spoon into muffin tins.
  8. Bake until top is golden and springs back when you gently touch it, 20-25 minutes
Pictures are all taken with my new Nikon D3200. This camera is seriously amazing and I can't wait to learn how to use it better, but I digress. Here are the ingredients (minus sugar and salt which I forgot to put in the picture).
Dry ingredients (except sugar which I almost forgot to add in)

Batter all mixed together. This stuff is seriously thick and sticky, just be prepared.
Ready to spoon into the muffin tins
The original says you get 12 muffins, I got 14 and the were stacked. If I had made the smaller I probably could have made 16 muffins.
I baked mine for 20 minutes and they didn't seem quite finished so I left them in for another 4 minutes. They were spongy and a light brown on top and I let them cool for a few minutes before tasting them. I will admit I was not overly impressed by their taste. They aren't bad by any means but they aren't what you would expect from a muffin. They aren't very sweet and more spongey than the cakey texture you expect from a muffin. I would probably add some Stevia to the recipe to add a little extra sweetness and maybe sprinkle a little sugar on top while they were baking. MyFitnessPal puts these muffins in at 195 calories a piece if you make 14 muffins with the batter, so they are significantly lower in calories than a typical blueberry muffin. They are packed with healthy ingredients and the recipe can easily added to an altered to make it healthier. They are a good alternative to regular muffins if your trying to cut calories and add in healthier foods to your diet, but they certainly aren't going to replace regular muffins in our house (at least not for my husband). That being said they were preschooler approved and that is saying something.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment