Thursday, August 1, 2013

Won-ton Wrapper Mozzarella Sticks

I have been wanting to try the pin FOREVER and had never gotten around to it. I had actually bought packs of won-ton wrappers a few different times to recreate this pin and had to throw them out because they went bad. The original pin is here http://olivetheingredients.blogspot.com/2011/11/baked-or-fried-mozzarella-sticks.html and has great pictures and instructions. It's pretty simple though, take a regular mozzarella stick, wrap it in won-ton wrapper (corner to corner like your wrapping a crescent roll), tuck in the sides (use a little water to get the wrapper to seal, and place on cookie sheet (if baking) or in an oiled pan (if frying). I decided to try it both ways but I only made a few (because I was home alone and I figured if I made more I would be tempted to eat them).
 The ingredients 

 Be sure to tightly fold in the sides (this is important, you'll see why in a second)
 In the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil
 Almost done, you can keep rolling it around in the pan or flip it from side to side with tongs to get the whole thing brown and crispy
 Finished and looks delicious
 Its baked companions, not so much

So you can obviously tell that I didn't tuck the ends in very well on these two cheese sticks. They went in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and this is what I took out of the oven. I did try them, and they were not good. The won-ton wrapper was super crispy like a cracker but had almost no flavor. These are the healthiest of the two options but definitely not the tastiest. The fried ones are only around 150 calories each, and I have to admit they are worth it. I made one yesterday because I had just used the pan to saute some squash and thought, what the heck I'll make my self a cheese-stick. The cheese wasn't super melty but that probably has to do with the quality of the cheese. Trader Joe's has these really rich mozzarella cheese sticks that I want to try this with, I have a feeling those will be AWESOME. They are no breaded cheese-sticks but they don't pack the calorie punch those sticks do either. If you want to feel like your eating something bad for you without actually eating something bad for you these are great. The best thing is you can easily make one or twenty as the process doesn't take long at all. But please whatever you do, don't bake them and if you do make sure to seal the ends tight. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment