Sunday, February 3, 2013

A New Resolution and My Introduction to Coconut Oil

Warm Fuzzies for My Friends and the Magic Elixir Known As Coconut Oil

I realize that resolutions are usually made in January and that I may be a bit slow on the uptake but I suffer incredibly from pregnancy brain and I didn't have this idea until about a week ago. After the tragedy in Connecticut I have been following the 26 Acts of Kindness campaign started by Ann Curry, which has asked people to commit to doing 26 different random acts of kindness for strangers (#26Acts on Twitter). I was inspired and began committing these acts of kindness whenever possible. Though I have not reached 26, every act I have done has made me feel so much better about myself and humanity as a whole. I was thinking a few days ago that as amazing as it has been to do nice things for strangers, I really want to be connecting more with the people in my life who are important to me. Like any busy person I often neglect the important relationships, replacing Facebook messages and Twitter responses for real conversations and simple acts of kindness for the people in my life. I decided a few days ago to create a Warm Fuzzies List, a list of people in my life that I have committed to doing some small act of kindness for sometime this year.

This list is a Hodge Podge of amazing men and women who have helped shape who I am, whether I have known them for a short time, most, or all of my life. I am who I am because of them, whether by large act or small and they all deserve a display of appreciation from me. I am already a mother to one amazing little girl and about to become a mother to a little boy, and I want to teach my children to appreciate all of the people in their life that shape who they will become. I needed every person who has entered my life to teach, mold, and help me become the person I am and will continue to need them as I grow older (and hopefully wiser). I look forward to this resolution and began slowly last month, sending two great friends small tokens of my appreciation. I have a long list and I hope I can inspire anyone who reads these words to start their own Warm Fuzzies List and show those who are most dear to them, that they are important and valued. I also hope that you can begin to commit random acts of kindness to strangers as well, even if you can't commit to 26. One act of kindness can be the catalyst for amazing things.

On a less sentimental note, another resolution/pin I have been wanting to try is one I came across giving a list of 52 things that you can do with coconut oil. You can see the list in its entirety here http://www.poshglam.com/experimental-beauty-coconut-oil-for-dieting-moisturizing-wellness/. I have been hearing for awhile about the miracle that is coconut oil and had told myself many times to pick some up and see if it was as amazing as everyone says. So today I committed to giving it a shot and trying as many of the 52 as I could (some don't apply to everyone, and some get a bit personal). Today I used it as a lip balm and it was great, a bit greasy but it did a great job making my winter chapped lips a bit smoother and had no discernible taste. I am excited to try some of the other items on the list and will keep you updated, and if you have tried any of the uses on the list (or have any that weren't included) please feel free to post a comment. I have at least one cooking pin coming up this week and two crafts in the works, so baring anything major happening or a sudden onslaught of pregnancy exhaustion I should have some cool posts coming up soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment