Thursday, April 18, 2013

Another Coconut Oil Pin....Can it make my hair silky smooth??

I haven't tried a coconut oil pin for awhile and thought I would give a new one a try that I found outside the list I had been using. This was another hair mask, but wasn't coconut oil alone so I figured it was worth a shot.
3 required ingredients
 
Spoon a few tablespoons of coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl (The more hair you have the more oil you'll need. I have medium length hair so I used around 3 big spoonfuls).
Coconut Oil
Microwave for about 30-45 seconds until the oil is completely melted. Then add in a tablespoon of honey (not much more according to the original pin, it probably would get pretty sticky) and one raw egg. Whisk together.
Finished product
Go to your bathroom, throw a towel around your shoulders and start spreading this on your dry unwashed hair.
My dry unwashed hair
The consistency is runny and surprise surprise very oily. It doesn't have a strong smell but their is a bit of a funkiness to the mixture, which I'm sure comes from the egg. Cover all of your hair and then when mixture is gone put a shower cap on or wrap you hair up in plastic wrap.
After the mixture was on my hair
My super sexy shower cap
Now set your timer for 30 minutes and find something to occupy your time for the next half an hour. I told Siri to play Bruno Mars and I picked up around the house, but to each their own. After the timer went off I got my shower. I used the spray nozzle to rinse as much of the mixture out as possible and then washed and conditioned as usual. I used Head and Shoulders shampoo and Loreal EverClear conditioner. After my shower I dried and styled as normal.
 
My assessment: My hair did seem softer and a bit shiner than after a normal shampoo and conditioning session but it wasn't anything amazing. The downside was that even after shampooing and conditioning I thought my hair still had a bit of that funky smell. Nothing too overpowering but I did still smell it. By the next day I didn't smell it at all anymore, but I also used a bit of dry shampoo to help cover it up. I'm not sure how often someone would have to do this treatment to see a huge difference, or if you would even if you did it frequently. It was worth a try and others who don't have color damaged hair like I do might have better results. I encourage everyone to give it a shot if they have the time and see if it works for them.

Styled as normal-Hair dryer and straighten with a flat iron





1 comment:

  1. Hello, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on!
    coconut oil hair treatment

    ReplyDelete