Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pinterest Lies...or the Worst Broccoli I Have Ever Made

In my continuing quest to lose the baby weight, I have been on the hunt for healthy recipes I can easily add into my cooking repertoire. One about baking broccoli in the oven caught my eye and when I went to Sprouts (our local farmer's market like grocery store) broccoli just happened to be on sale so I picked some up and decided to give this pin a try. This is one of those pins where the instructions are in the comments section, but I did my due diligence and checked the link to make sure nothing had been changed or left out. Nothing had been, which made me excited to try the pin, because any recipe with broccoli that doesn't include dousing it in cheese is a benefit for me.
Here are the ingredients. I didn't use as much broccoli as the pin said I doubt that had anything to do with the recipe bombing. Here are the instructions from the pin, which mirror what was on the blog page. Put a few Tbsp of olive oil in a Ziploc with some salt and pepper and the broccoli and shake. Then spread on a cookie sheet and spread minced garlic over it and roast at 425 deg F for 20-25 minutes. After it comes out, squeeze a lemon over it and sprinkle w Parmesan.
Here is the broccoli after it has been shaken in the Ziploc bag with the other ingredients. I made the mistake of putting the Parmesan cheese on it first, when the instructions require it at the end but again I don't think even that screw up was the downfall of the recipe. I put these in the oven for 23 minutes at 425. Here is what came out of the oven:

The blogger described them as "crispy and delicious" but I would call them "burnt and nasty". The florets were mostly blackened and tasted like what you would assume burnt broccoli would taste like. The stems were OK, the olive oil and minced garlic gave them some flavor but it didn't make up for the burnt tops. The blog said these were supposed to be amazing and "better than biting into a steak" but I would have much rather had the steak or even boring steamed broccoli instead. I tried a few but in the end I tossed them in the trash and opened up a can of corn to have with dinner instead. They might have been good if I had made a foil bag and steamed them in the oven, which I may try, but I would not cook them uncovered in the oven again. I encourage everyone to eat their vegetables, but I personally can't endorse this particular method.

No comments:

Post a Comment