Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Enchilada Casserole

I made it a mission this week to eat at home every night this week (with me on maternity leave we need to save money where we can). I had been perusing my Food and Drinks board to try and find something new to make for dinner, which is a challenge since I pin WAY more desserts than anything else. I pinned this a week or two ago and it looked pretty yummy. When I checked the recipe it came from an awesome blog called sixsisterstuff.com, I have at least 10 of their recipes pinned, this is definitely one of my favorite Pinterest found websites. I tweaked the recipe a bit so I will include the original recipe and my tweaks (which are in italics) so you can see both.

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
 
Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)- (I used 93/7)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa (I used about 2 cups)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used Pinto beans, husbands preference)
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing (I omitted this since I didn't have any)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches) (I used 12 corn tortillas, they are lower calorie than flour)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional) (I used an ear of fresh corn cut from the cob because that's all I had at home)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I omitted the last three since I didn't have them either)
 
I also added a can of mild enchilada sauce, I wasn't sure why you could call this an enchilada casserole without actually including enchilada sauce.

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with Pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
 
Meat browning with the onions

Meat mix layer
Each layer of tortillas has 6 corn tortillas

 
Foil on top, ready for the oven

After 25 minutes covered and an extra 5 minutes in the oven uncovered
Cut and ready to eat

Makes about 8 very healthy sized servings
 
I put the recipe in MyFitnessPal (with my changes) and put it in as serving 8 people. Each serving came in at around 370 calories, so it's fairly healthy as long as the servings aren't too big. That shouldn't be a problem as this is a very filling dish. I think the fresh corn made a difference too, I could really taste the freshness of the corn so I would recommend using left over corn of the cob if you happen to have any. It was delicious and  the spice level could easily be adjusted to taste. Mine was fairly mild but jalapenos or other chilies could easily be added to make it spicier. This recipe was easy and would also make a great pot luck casserole or a dinner to bring to someones house. I had a second serving for lunch today and it was very good as leftovers. I added sour cream and half an avocado as a garnish and it was wonderful with that as well. I recommend this dish and going to the Six Sisters website, as they have a ton of other great recipes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment