Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Haystacks or Should I Say Bird's Nests

I saw this pin about a month ago and thought it would be perfect to try for Kathryn's school Easter party. My friend M makes haystacks at Christmas and these are only slightly different and only need a few ingredients.
not pictured is bag of Cadbury Robin's eggs
 
The pin I used didn't include measurements bit I know I needed to make at least 27 of these. I lined the muffin tins with cupcake liners to make these a bit less messy for the kiddos. I have a Wilton chocolate melter (buy one of these if you don't have one, totally worth the 20 dollars) and threw in one bag of the butterscotch chips. Once the chips were melted I added in a bit of coconut oil (about 1 teaspoon) to thin the butterscotch a bit (you could use Crisco if you don't have coconut oil). I added about 2/3 of the bag of chow mien noodles to a bowl, put in the melted butterscotch and mixed them around until all of the chow mien noodles were covered.
I then spooned the chow mien noodles into the cupcake tins (this part is messy, be prepared). I placed three Cadbury eggs in each nest. I was about 7 nests short so I melted half a bag of butterscotch and mixed in the rest of the noodles to finish making the nests. I put them in the fridge overnight to harden them.
The kids really liked them, I got compliments from K's teachers and luckily two ended up coming home with her. They tasted very good and were super easy. This would be a great for older kids to make but again I recommend using the chocolate melter over having to use a double boiler or regular pan to melt the butterscotch.



No comments:

Post a Comment